17 February 2006

I'm engaged in watching Sci Fi Friday, of course, and reflecting on my day. By the way, we liked this week's episodes of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis better than last week's.

I slept in, and when I awoke, I dreaded getting out of bed. Eventually, however, I did get up, so good on me, because one can't stay in bed forever. I'd written someone about an accounting analyst job Thursday evening, and he replied to me, stating that he thought that the position would not hold my interest for very long, and I should look into finding engineering jobs. I replied that I was actually looking to transition away from the engineering world. He called me some time later, and asked me to have an informal interview sort of thing, so I went to lunch with him and a supervisor person. We chatted about my history and what I am looking for in a job, and they are going to think about if I'd be a good fit with the company. I might hear back from them next week. I would probably enjoy doing accounting analysis, since I enjoy numbers and calculations, but I don't know if they were completely convinced that I would be able to scale back my brilliance to work in a financial institution. Heh. Anyway, yet another example of how much it sucks to be overqualified.

As I was leaving the restaurant to go home, something happened to my car (our new Acura Legend). I unlocked the door, and the alarm started honking. I'd like to mention that I was never made aware that the car even has an alarm system. I had no idea how to turn the alarm off, and I was standing in a strip mall parking lot. I was so embarrassed, and as I called Jeff, I carefully avoided looking around to see who was staring, pointing and laughing at me. I kept trying to lock and unlock the door, put the key in the ignition, and on occasion the alarm would go off, and then as I tried to turn on the car or shut the door or something, it would start the alarm again. SO frustrating, and I'm sure Jeff was frustrated, too, as he kept saying things like, "Unlock the door, get out of the car, shut the door, use the key to lock and unlock it...." and I would be almost in tears, saying, "But the door is already unlocked, and should I lock it again and then unlock it, or just open it?" Finally, the alarm stopped (still not quite sure exactly what actions caused it to start in the first place, nor exactly what processes caused it to cease), and I was able to just get in the car (without locking the door), start the ignition, and drive home. I didn't lock the door at all. Gyah.

Anyway, the rest of the afternoon was spent browsing through more job sites. Pretty much nothing good out there. I'm always either overqualified or underqualified. *sigh*

No comments: