30 April 2006

Now beyond fig leaves


It has been a longish day, and rather warm. All three of us slept downstairs in the living room (a sort of campout), and then we slowly awoke and got into our day. We discovered, by the way, that Hobbes and Touchy had discovered Grandma Willow's knitting bag during the night, and they had dragged one of her Knitting Guild Level 3 sample thingies across the floor, dislodged the knitting needles, and snarled up the yarn. *sigh* We had planned to do several things, including shopping at Joanns and checking out some bridal shops. First, however, we elected to go to Mavericks Coffee (Debbie met us there), which is a highly atmospheric cowboy-themed coffee shop on the south side of town. Their drinks are pretty good, and I like to hang out there because they have all these old Western movie posters (mostly B-level films, but still full of recognizable names) and authentic autographed photos of old Western stars. All the greats are there, including John Wayne, James Stewart, Roy Rogers, Randolph Scott, James Garner, and even my favorite old movie actor of all time, Joel McCrea (they laughed at me when I got my picture taken with his photo; yes, I'm a fangirl). They also have scores of other, less well-known (I saw one that even I had never heard of before: Lash La Rue) actors. The shop itself features live country-type music acts, on occasion.

After about an hour at Mavericks (I looked it up, and it seems that there is no apostrophe), we drove over to Joanns, where we looked at patterns and bought a few. We went to Petco next door, and then ran a few errands for me (bank, Staples). Then we finally moved on to our true mission: wedding dress shopping for Mia. We spent a long time at one particular shop, and she found one that she loved, but hasn't settled on it yet. We went to another bridal shop to scope out more dresses. Most of them were covered with very ornate lace. I'm not a big frou-frou person, but while we were there, one gown caught my eye, and I couldn't resist trying it on. I'm not in the market for a wedding dress, but sometimes it's nice to put on a pretty dress just because you can. And Mia paid me a dubious compliment by telling me that the dress made me look "as if you actually have a shape". Uh-huh. Thanks. And guess who's now getting coal for a gift at her bridal shower... Just kidding, but you readers can form your own opinions with the photos below, although the size of the dressing room made it difficult to get a good picture, so we have two partial pictures, so to speak. My face doesn't look too good, what with the dim lighting, awkward angle, and the fact the I was not wearing makeup, but it's a beautiful dress.

1 comment:

Sher said...

Wow! That really is a gorgeous dress!

BTW, I need your address for MY bridal shower.