23 August 2006

What a difference a day makes;

Or, [Mama]’s got a brand new [job]

Well, despite the fact that one of my greatest fears is that I’ll become utterly uninteresting, life with me usually ends up being anything but boring.
Case in point: On Friday, I got a new job and quit my old one!

There are a lot of things that went on recently that influenced my decision, but the bottom line is that on Thursday, due to unforeseen circumstances, I made a choice to switch gears and begin on the path that will lead me to my dream: being a college professor! It's a long path, but it will be worth it. Anyway, here's to the start of my teaching career, as a science teacher for a middle school. I interviewed on last Thursday night, was offered the job on Friday, went through orientation and signed a contract Saturday, and am now just waiting for some bureacratic hoops to be jumped (in particular, completion of my TB skin test). School began yesterday, so they are pretty desperate, but I say, if they knew they had vacancies, they should have worked a little harder to fill them before three days prior to the start of the school year. Ah, well, things should be operational on Thursday or so.

My employers were hardly thrilled at my decision, but I signed an "at-will employment" agreement when I was hired, so I was perfectly within my rights to just walk out, if I so desired. And I did. I had no animosity toward my employers, but it just was not where I wanted to be. Now, I just have to ensure that I can attain proper closure, i.e. getting paid properly for all my hours on my final paycheck. *sigh*

2 comments:

Willow said...

I'm glad you posted so now I can say, Deb has a new job!
Good luck! When do you start?

Sher said...

Yay Deb! I will also be teaching middle school science. Maybe we can trade notes.