03 November 2009

Candy

In the wake of Halloween, there are thousands of parents attempting to dispose of thousands of pounds of leftover candy. We have some here at work, right this minute, and in my opinion, it never hurts anyone to have the occasional sugar high in the office. But one unforeseen side effect of this year's post-Halloween sugarfest is the triggering of another memory, this one primarily gustatory.

In the US, there is a popular candy called Smarties. I do not care for them. They taste like sweetened schoolroom chalk.

US Smarties are a huge disappointment because in Europe and Asia, there is another kind of Smarties, and these are a Nestle version of M&Ms: chocolate candies with a hard coloured shell. Infinitely preferable.


I have occasionally wondered, but with no satisfactory answer: Why is there such a great divide between confections available in the USA and those in other parts of the world (including Canada, just to the north)?
Nutella is now available stateside, but whither my Pocket Coffee?

My Silver Queen bars?

My kue lapis?

My es cendol?


People in the US have so much, and yet... so little.

5 comments:

Willow said...

You can get es cendol at the Farmers Market in Los Angeles. Kue lapis? Dunno. I will go to the British Imports shop in Ventura and scope out its offerings. Golden Syrup?

Mama Mia said...

es cendol. kue lapis. Mmmmmm. I have some the ingredients for kue lapis... maybe next time you visit... :o)

Graf Spee said...

I have to look and see what I can find. :}

Kiti said...

I do know how to make kue lapis and es cendol, but the kue is time-intensive and the ingredients are sometimes hard to get out here where there is no 99 Ranch Market.

Unknown said...

There is good es cendol 2 miles from my work. Not that it helps you any of course.