03 November 2010

Expecto Patronum!

First of all, in NaBloPoMo news, I'd like to point out that I posted my review of Repo! on Nov 2, but since I began the post on Nov 1, my blog thinks it should put that date on it, and I'm too lazy to change it right now.

Second of all, I'm shamelessly copying Jennie with today's post. She is celebrating 30 days of Harry Potter over on her blog, and wonders what everybody's Patronus would be.

This is a tough question for some of us. Harry's, of course, is a stag, reflecting, among other things, his strong spiritual relationship with his father. Hermione's Patronus, curiously enough, is an otter, which seems unusually playful for a young person of her serious and scholarly temperament. I could not easily discern what my own Patronus would be, so I had to take myself mentally into Hogwarts and imagine casting the spell. "Expecto Patronum!" I had been hoping for an owl, but sensed that since birds are rather rare among Patroni (Dumbledore's phoenix--if one even considers a phoenix to be a type of bird--and Cho Chang's swan being the only ones mentioned, I believe), I would end up with a furry creature, and probably not even a large and intimidating one. Sure enough, what came out was none other than a cat! Not quite an ordinary domestic cat, but rather a Pallas' cat. Cute and fluffy but can probably inflict some damage. Good enough!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Pallas_cat.JPG
Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons

What about you, dear readers? Find the Room of Requirement, cast the spell, and let us know in the comments how you fared.

2 comments:

Willow said...

Dad says he's definitely a raptor. Me? Hmmm, a border collie? not sure

Candace said...

I just re-watched HP and the Order of the Phoenix today, so Patronuses (or is it patroni?) are on my mind. This is a question to think about, though, so I'll get back to you :)