01 February 2006

Next up

Well, Day 2 of DSFGE was not quite so eventful as Day 1. I was at home all day, and the only person I saw was the man who delivered a package to the door. It's okay, though. I e-mailed a place that has engineering/test positions open, and made several phone calls regarding a math teaching position in a Fresno high school. Yes, I'm still trying for the education thing. As it turns out, I might be able to get an emergency credential, but because of No Child Left Behind bureaucracy, it's not good after June 30. Whatever. Such is life. HOWEVER, it seems that if I pass a CSET, I could get a single subject teaching credential, per the recruiter I spoke with, who emphasized the need for math teachers. If I can pass a math CSET, I get a credential? That sounds waaaaay too easy. I know I can teach, and I know I can teach math. I've done it for years. However, I expected a lot more red tape from the state of California. I called the Fresno County Office of Education credentialing office, but the person there didn't answer, so I left a message. I hope to get more answers tomorrow.

Here is the question. Do I really think I can pass a comprehensive math test, at a level that will convince people that I can teach mathematics to snotty-nosed brats? Do I have that much confidence in myself? The thing is, I can never be sure how smart I really am. I consider myself about average, math-wise. I mean, most people think I'm a super-smart, but I compare myself to, say, my Uncle David (who has a Ph.D. in mathematics) or my younger brother (who is certified scary-smart). Despite the fact that I got mostly As, and a few very solid Bs, all the way through multi-variable calculus in college, I don't think I'm particularly intelligent when it comes to math. I guess my best course of action, if the CSET seems the way to go (there are apparently math teaching jobs available), is to see if the practice test seems easy enough, and then review whatever it is I don't know.

4 comments:

luminarumbra said...

You'll do fine, Deb. Even though we haven't spent a lot of time hanging out, I know you're definately smart enough.

Willow said...

You are also scarey-smart, Deb! Don't make yourself think you aren't!
I would recommend high school. However, you might want to check out the article in LA Times on Monday about kids in LAUSD who can't pass algebra. If you could devise a way to get those kids to learn and understand algebra, you could name your price and the state of CA would happily pay it. As it happens, I know a woman who could help you-- Joan Nichols who lives in Newport Beach and gets paid $$$$ to help kids do exactly that.

Sher said...

There are actually two levels of the Math CSET. One is basic (Algebra, Geometry, Stats) and the other is the harder stuff (Calculus, etc). If you just pass the basic one, you can still teach, but you don't have to teach the Calculus and stuff.

As far as getting a credential, there is at least one class (Methods) that you would have to take besides taking the CSET. You would need to talk with the individual college or school district regarding that one. I know for me, all I need for a a single-subject credential is the test and the Methods class, but that is because I already have a multiple-subject credential.

Kiti said...

Sher - Yes, I am going to take the basic Algebra/Geometry CSET, I think. I can take the calculus later, if I want, but calculus teachers are not as critical a need as algebra and geometry, I've been told. As far as I understand correctly, I just have to take the CSET to achieve the single subject credential for now, but then they want me to enroll in an actual program so I can take all those IMPORTANT CLASSES.

Mum - Overall, those kids don't understand algebra because they don't WANT to understand it. The vast majority of them are perfectly capable. But if the state of CA wants to throw money at me to help remedy the situation, I wouldn't say no.

Liz - Thanks, you're a doll!