02 February 2006

Hilarious!

Day 3 of DSFGE gave rise to mirth and frustration. The facts that (1) I was an AEROSPACE ENGINEER and (2) I possess a MASTERS DEGREE in one of the HUMANITIES are completely insufficient to convince the state of California that I am able to read, write, and do mathematics at any level of competency. So I must take the CBEST. *laughing* I'm registering to take it on Feb. 11.

Things are looking at least positive on the education employment front. If I can convince the school district that they want to hire me at a preliminary (intern?) level as soon as I take the CBEST, things might be okay, job-wise. I also have to get finger-printed, of course. The Fresno County Office of Education called me back, and was very encouraging. I called the Fresno SD HR person, to tell her I was interested and would have the CBEST requirement fulfilled in a week and a half, but haven't heard back from her about that specific high school math job. You'd think they'd be excited to be able to fill a teaching position they've had open since August 2005. Come on, people, the algebra's not getting taught any sooner.

I talked to a guy in the Tulare County Office of Education, who was telling me all about their credentialing program that they offer, so one can complete it in 18 months, without having to enroll in an actual university. They do seem to have a decent program, to be honest, but I'm not sure if it's for me. Still, I got good info, and it's an option, if I decide to really go for being a high school teacher.

The problem is, with all these other tests I'm taking, when will I be able to prep for the GRE?

No comments: