08 February 2006

Congratulations to Dan, who is now an ordained minister! My beloved brother has worked long and hard to reach this end, and we are so proud of him. Jeff and I are his "caring couple", so we'll try to figure out a way to celebrate with him, despite being 200 miles apart from him.

I had a fairly low-key DSFGE Day 8. Jeff let me know that the Fresno USD wants to interview me, and I have an appointment for tomorrow. I did laundry, and cleaned the kitchen a bit. Then I spent a few hours with Debbie; we visited some thrift stores (both vastly inferior to Savers) and Target, then chatted over coffee at Starbucks. I made spaghetti with marinara for dinner, and how we're watching Star Trek: Voyager (we got two disks from Netflix yesterday, and between last night and tonight, have almost finished them). I also watched The Young In Heart (see review below) earlier today, while tending to laundry. I love my old movies!

The Young In Heart: Humorous look at the adventures of a family of con artists. The Carletons (although we never do find out whether this is their real name) have been flitting around Europe trying to fleece wealthy folks, but are often exposed as dishonest and must move on to the next place. They are crooked as a corkscrew, but completely enchanting in their selfishness and strong drive to avoid anything even remotely resembling real work. There is the father (played by Roland Young, and known as the Sahib due to a fictional stint in the Bengal lancers) who is a card sharp, the mother (played by Billie Burke, and known as Marmy) who flutters and charms, and the son Rick (Douglas Fairbanks Jr) and daughter George-Anne (Janet Gaynor), who are fortune-hunting for spouses among the wealthy and naïve. Naturally, they fall in with various individuals who touch their hearts and rehabilitate them. Minnie Dupree is wonderful as a little old lady who is sharper than she looks; Paulette Goddard is pert and makes a good impression as an upright American girl working in London. This is not really a romantic comedy, nor a screwball comedy, nor a comedy of manners. It is just an excellent film featuring a fabulous cast in an amusing and touching story of humanity and redemption.
****/*****

1 comment:

Sher said...

You and Jason would get along well. He just finished the Voyager series, and is trying to figure out what to watch next.