27 February 2006

Sorry

Oh, my poor readers. I have neglected you! Really, I have not much to tell.

The aforementioned funny stories are not really all that funny. I will relate them, nevertheless.

Earlier this week (I honestly don't remember which day, anymore), I received a large and important-looking FedEx envelope from the Humongous Anonymous Technical Company (hereafter referred to as HATC), which happens to have been the place of my former employment. Since it looked important, I opened it forthwith and straightway, and as luck would have it, it WAS important. Along with a stack of HR material, I had a letter informing me that there is a decreased need for my particular job description, and so the letter served as my sixty day notice. Hilarious! Some people might ask, "Why is it funny to get a layoff notice? Isn't that kind of serious and frightening?" The reason that it's funny is that I DON'T WORK THERE ANYMORE. I haven't worked there for more than a month. So if they wish to lay me off, I don't much care either way. I would like to state: I think that if budgets (by the way, I've known about the 2006 budget issues for a year now, and other people have already been laid off or reassigned) and/or programmatic issues require a manager to reduce headcount, it is completely reasonable to begin by cutting the personnel WHO DON'T WORK THERE. I am not on payroll; I am simply a name in a computer now. If I'd still been working there, I don't think I'd have been laid off, since I would have been doing actual work, and therefore been of use to the HATC. Well, whatever.

The second funny thing is that someone from JoAnn's called me about working in the store--AS A SCRAPBOOKING TEACHER. I like to scrapbook, and I like to teach, but everything I know about the scrapbooking subculture tells me that I would not be an ideal teacher for scrapbooking. I'm too much of an iconoclast. I would yell at my students for being cutesy. I would remind them that nobody actually cares about their baby's first tooth, and they should wait until they had something more interesting to scrap about, like maybe a trip to Europe. Stuff like that. Also, I'm a beginner. So, no dice.

As a final indignity, someone from one of the temp agencies called and offered me some work. However, it was doing CHILDREN'S ACTIVITIES (sounded like a daycare) for barely more than minimum wage. Sorry, you'll have to pay me a lot more than that to get me to spend several hours doing finger painting and cutting out little shapes from construction papers! I told the caller, "I'm not really good with children."

Anyhoo. Jeff and I went to church at Gateway this morning. Jeff really wanted to check it out, and I resisted, but eventually gave in. We went to the earlier "traditional" service, so the music was adequate, but I disliked the sermon (I'm no fan of the topical approach; I prefer a rigorous exegetical approach, at which Pastor Lou at Grace LB excelled), and the "special music" solo at the end was laughable--someone sang "Because You Loved Me"! Yes, the mid-90s pop song. In church. And she suffered by obvious comparison to Celine Dion. Yes, I'm cruel, ill-mannered, and bad-tempered, for mocking the poor lady. But I can muster neither remorse for my behaviour nor sympathy for the singer. WHO thought this was a good idea? WHY?
On the plus side, we saw Olaf and Rosalee (Jeff's grandparents) there, so we sat with them, and then were able to go with them to brunch.

Jeff did homework in the afternoon, while I puttered about the kitchen, making cinnamon rolls. I haven't baked cinnamon rolls from scratch for a long time, and it was fun. The end product was tasty, if not as gooey as I would like. Now Jeff is in bed, and so I shall be, soon enough. I am finally starting to get sleepy...

2 comments:

Willow said...

Great stories! I'm sure that HATC is pleased to be able to lay off you and keep someone who is actually working...

Humbled Man said...

The layoff notice is just classic! Now you really know how much the bean counters back at corporate in large companies really know what's going on in individual locations.