17 March 2006

Good stuff

DSFGE Day 34 was somewhat eventful. I had an interview, and it was, overall, the strangest interview I've undergone so far. I'm being considered for a position in the product development division of a local company, and if I go corporate rather than education, I think I'd really enjoy the job. I met with someone as a sort of initial interview, and he was very energetic and passionate about what he does. He gave me an overview of the company, and told me about the their team-focused culture, etc. He asked questions such as "Would you consider yourself a geek?" and "How's your ego? Is it fragile, or can you handle criticism?". Very bizarre. He even gave me feedback (constructive criticism) on how to be more effective when I come in for my second interview next week: I came off as rather demure, and I need to be more forceful in presenting myself; he was, however, impressed with how intelligent and articulate I am when I do work up the courage to say something. Fair enough, since I am naturally rather shy, and just barely manage to pull myself together to be confident in my areas of expertise. Argh! I wasn't able to act my way out of this one! But on the plus side, I do have a follow-up interview (with the person with whom I'd be directly working) next week, so I didn't completely blow it. He explained that the company really wants to find out who I really AM, rather than who I think I ought to be, because the real me is who they'll be working with, day in and day out. Makes sense, huh? I got permission to be creative in presenting the real me.

Hard to believe tomorrow's already Friday again.

I'm tired.

No comments: