31 March 2006

You want to go where everybody knows your name

I have been so blessed to be able to take this impromptu trip down to Southern Cal. I hopped in my car and drove straight to Mike's house yesterday (Wednesday), and after calling Mom for directions after I missed the freeway offramp, I arrived at the casa del Mudd in good time, but Mike was not awake yet. Heheh. I hung out with some of his roommates for a time, and he was eventually ready to go out. We delighted our senses with Indonesian food, and talked about politics. Good stuff, all around. We returned to his house, and he showed me his business setup. Interesting. He had to go to volleyball in the evening, so I went over to Mom and Dad's house and did the hangout thing with Dad--we watched Jeopardy, and I introduced him to Bones (sadly, I didn't think this particular episode was all that great). Mom came home from Bible study, and we chatted until late into the night.

This morning, I had a slow start, made slower by the fact that I encountered a train on the way out from the parents' house. I finally arrived at Biola, and Mia was in SMU. We ended up at Starbucks, until it was time for me to meet up with Laurel for lunch. It was so good to see her, and we talked for about two hours. We also saw Chelsea Van der Kooi. I walked Laurel to work at ISF, and while I was moseying back to the main campus, I crossed paths with my spunky friend Chelsea Shelby; Chelsea was on her way to the post office, so I walked with her (I was going to the SUB anyway), and even saw Jeri in the post office. Chelsea went back to work, and I went to Student Ministries to see if my friend Barbara was there, but she was gone until next Monday, so I left her a note. I had the good sense to go check in with the science division, and I'm so happy that I did. I met up with Mr. Johnson, who was so kind and interested in what was going on in my life, then went to the office to greet Susan Lopez and drop some more notes off, and saw Dr. Rynd and Dr. Bloom. Dr. Bloom invited to come up and see the current Circuits class in lab, so I chatted and joked with them, and even had my picture taken for the alumni section on (I think) the Wall O' Photos. I poked my head into the Gen Bio lab where Ruth was teaching, and finally stopped into Rafe's office. All my old professors were so kind, and I was very happy that I had followed my instincts and gone to see them. Ruth and Rafe specifically asked about grad school, and were quite positive and encouraging, and it really helped me to remember why I have love for science; I'm beginning to realize that if I don't do at least some advanced study in the sciences, I'm going to regret it and always wish that I had. Talking with Bloom and (later) my sister reminded me that I can do more than one thing, and the key is balancing it out. But anyway, the mad whirl continued, as I went into Sutherland for yet another note dropoff; none of my humanities-related friends were around, so it ended up being a short visit. I moved on to an important scheduled visit: Melissa in Metzger. I came and saw her office, and we talked for a while, even though we were in the middle of the IT department. I almost passed out, due to (I guess) insufficient food, so I obtained caloric salvation from the vending machine. Mmmm, Cheez-its. I was so happy to see Melissa for even a short span of time, but she too had to return to work eventually. I was heading to pick up Mia and drive off to Watts for visiting parents' Bible study, and I made one final stop: library media center to see Will. We ended up talking for quite a while, and I was (once again) so happy that I made the effort, because we were able to connect about a lot of things. While making my way to Emerson to collect the poor, patient Mia, I ran into Linda Kazibwe, of all people. We talked a bit, but she was on her way to the car, and I'll see her tomorrow night anyway (GC reunion concert!).

Wow, that was a lot of people interaction for one day! But these were all people I'd really wanted to see (whether planned or unplanned, I was happy to see all of them), and since I was seldom required to interact with more than one person at a time, it was not too taxing for me. It was a real blessing to see so many wonderful people, and to realize from our interactions that there really are people who care about me, who took time to spend with me. Seeing friends, and being encouraged by former professors (who, in most large schools, would not even have known my name), was a great way to end the several weeks of semi-hermitude that I've engaged in since leaving the HATC at the end of January. Just as I was beginning to feel restless, and to think that I would like to leave my solitude and begin serve God in a more active way again, He provided a job. I think He waited until He knew that I was healed from my many years of overstress and overwork, and then arranged for a job with timing that allowed me to make a priority of taking a trip to see family and friends.

Mia and I had a few minor adventures (like striking off onto an unknown street in order to avoid being stopped at a train crossing) while making our way down Rosecrans and the 105 to Watts. We arrived safely at the WI Bible study, and there studied the discipline of solitude. We (not so much me as others) also talked about Myers-Briggs personality typing; it's a trendy topic at WI right now, I think. Then Mom and Dad (in their car) and Mia and I (in my car) drove back to the Price house in LA. Mia convinced me to join MySpace, and Mom had issues with other people's irresponsible actions. Personally, I'm so glad that I do not have to do what my mom does! I would not put up with it, and that's all I'm saying.

Now, after a long, full day, it is bedtime. I'm exhausted, but looking forward to Mommy time tomorrow, and girl time (first with Elizabeth and possibly Sara, then with Mia) on Saturday. I'm sad that I won't be able to connect with certain people (e.g. Sherida and Christina--I'm sad our schedules didn't mesh), but that's to be expected when one's travel plans are conceived on the spur of the moment.

Selamat malam dan selamat tidur!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We saved Bones to watch with you when you got home )-=