10 April 2006

Shmuffy

Jeff and I have been watching all the way through Buffy again, and we're in the middle of Season 2. It's great and funny, but the second time through, I'm really noticing the stuff that annoyed me a little bit the first time through annoys me a lot now. Primarily, the Buffy-Angel thing. It irritates me that there is such a big build-up over what is obviously a childish crush that never gets out of the immature hormonal stage of the relationship, because (SPOILER ALERT all the way down) they immaturely have sex (Hello, people, Buffy is UNDER AGE. Am I the only one who notices this? And she is way too young and lacks emotional maturity, so she isn't ready for any kind of serious relationship anyway. I hold Angel to be responsible, since he was the legal adult in this situation.) before they actually have time to build a real relationship. I just never bought the whole "this is true love forever" nonsense, and I buy it even less now. And that's really my big beef with Buffy; she never seems to quite get over her self-delusion about her relationship with Angel. Now I have that off my chest, and can go back to watching my show in something resembling peace.
I like Angel a lot better on his own show. I only like him on Buffy when he's evil. =)

Fear not, dear readers! It's not all negative here. Season 2 has some of my absolutely favorite couple moments: Xander and Cordelia, and Willow and Oz. I love Xander and Cordy and their I-hate-you-I-love-you vibe; they provided the normal teenaged student characters among all the wacky goings-on, and this is the only relationship where I like what I see in Xander. Willow and Oz are the sweetest, and it still makes me sad that Seth Green left the show. While I love Tara as a kind-spirited character, Willow really had her soul mate in Oz (with all his fabulous deadpan wit). And of course, I can't forget darling crazy Drusilla and her long-suffering faithful Spike.

No comments: