28 August 2006

Gotta get crackin'

Yes, dear bloghorts, I have neglected you! Sorry!

I've been having fun and working hard, settling into lesson planning and grading. I think that once I get everything started and set up, it will be easier for me, but right now, I've had to set up spreadsheets to track grades, so I've had to enter all the names and enter all the assignments that have been turned in thus far, and it's been tedious. It should be better from now on, though.

I have even planned my first few days (can't get any farther than that, though, until I touch base with my fellow Science 8 teachers and get some info on what they'll be doing in their classes). We're studying the scientific method and scientific measurements this week.

Friday night was Book Club, and we watched a movie version of Hamlet, to correspond with having read Prince Caspian and Hamlet the past few weeks. I had intended to rent and watch the 1948 Laurence Olivier version: it's an Academy Award-winning classic, after all. However, it turns out that there is not a single Blockbuster or Hollywood Video in Visalia that stocks that version. We had to make do with a modernised 2000 version, made with Ethan Hawke in the title role. Hmm, not what I had in mind, but it served its purpose. I guess I still can't get over the fact, though, that no movie rental place in the whole city had a section devoted to classics or Oscar winners, but had at least 50 copies of Poseidon or Benchwarmers.

Saturday, Jeff and I were both exhausted, so we had a lazy movie day. We watched Date Movie and Scary Movie 4 (I would not recommend either movie), Corpse Bride (Blah), and Rent (Meh). As you may have guessed, none of those movies were chosen by me.

Today, we went to church, then Jeff worked on his thesis and worked on lesson plans. We watched a few episodes of Star Trek: Voyager (we're falling behind with Netflix!) while I prepped Bible study, then we went to Bible study. Acts 8.

Now, it's time to: print things out, get everything together so that I can just grab stuff and run out the door in the morning, and fall into bed.

2 comments:

Willow said...

How was your first day?

Sher said...

Can you get Hamlet through Netflix?