13 June 2008

Milk: it does a body good

Apparently, many hospitals are still unenlightened regarding breastfeeding.

I was lucky, in that our birthing center staff were all very helpful in getting me started on feeding Nathan. Furthermore, both my mom and Debbie were supportive advocates of breastfeeding and gave me lots of good advice. All I can say is that I don't know why anyone could possibly think anything could be better than nursing. It's perfectly designed for babies' needs, and it provides great benefits for the mothers. For my part, until Nathan is weaned, I can eat pretty much anything I want-- a rare privilege in this obesity-fearing society-- because he eats all my calories.

I'd write more, but I have to go find a cookie now.

3 comments:

Willow said...

Arrived safely. Waiting for Dan.
Lots of love! Kisses for the boy!

Mama Mia said...

Really interesting, sis! That's totally a research option for med anth, wouldn't you say? ;oP I'm glad that the CDC is evaluating breastfeeding, etc.

Anonymous said...

I was really lucky, too. Kaiser has a lactation clinic that you can call or visit with your baby - for FREE. Great ladies!

I wish it had all gone easier for Noah and I in those first few weeks, but without all the support I got from Ben, my mom, and the fantastic lactation consultants, we would have called it quits a LONG time ago.