10 February 2006

MCI

Stands for Mercilessly Completely Irritating.

The phone rang today. I answered. There was a relentlessly cheerful telemarketer on the other end. Conversation was as follows, with parenthetical commentary by yours truly.

RCT: Hello, ma'am, I'm calling from MCI.
Me: Oh?
RCT: I'm calling about your phone number. (Now, I know that MCI is a phone service, so I already know what he's calling about, right? Hello, I am not STUPID. Whatever.) Is it XXX-XXXX?
Me: You called this number yourself. You obviously must know what it is. (Duh.)
RCT: (probably had never gotten that response before; gamely rallies and carries on) Your phone carrier is Pacific Bell, is that correct? (What, he knows everything about me? Does he have my baby pictures and high school grade reports, too? Scary.)
Me: (Like I know what phone service we have. Jeff pays the bill whenever it comes. I only ever use my cel phone to call people. We only have a land line because of DSL.) Could be.
RCT: (doggedly determined to carry on) MCI would like to offer you a better long-distance plan.
Me: Oh, we don't have long distance. (It's true. We don't. We can call anywhere we want with our cel phones.)
RCT: (relentless cheer gradually being replaced by doubt) You don't have long distance?
Me: Nope. We don't. You have nothing to sell me. Goodbye! (*click*)

It should be duly noted that I usually try to at least be pleasant to telemarketers. After all, they're just trying to make their living in the world, and it can't be a happy job. Maybe I was just super-crabby Deb or something.

1 comment:

luminarumbra said...

ROFL. We get telemarketers calling here all too much, and I always forget to play games with them....