11 March 2006

Demon car alarm

Remember my encounter with the senseless car alarm of doom in the strip mall parking lot? It happened again today, in the same parking lot. I was going to put groceries in my car, and had a Savemart bag person with me carrying them. When I turned the key in the lock to open the door, the alarm began to blare. I managed to play it off, saying, "Oh, that thing. It goes off randomly." I then fiddled with the lock, shutting the door and opening it again, and the alarm stopped. Again, I have NO IDEA what triggers the alarm, nor do I understand exactly what my actions have done to terminate it.

I didn't get a callback from a job that I applied for and really wanted. Disappointing. I am beginning to think I will never get a job. On the happy side, I tutored a high school student in math for an hour. For that one hour, I had a sense of clarity, a notion that I have a place in the world. I could help someone understand geometry; I knew exactly what to say, and how to break down problems into easy steps, in a way that would maximize comprehension. If only I could just tutor several hours per week. Happiness and income for me, better grades and stronger students for everyone else.

1 comment:

Willow said...

One time I was with Uncle Jim's ex wife in his corvette and the car alarm went off. We had no idea what to do. I don't remember what happened to turn it off, just the embarrasment of having everyone staring at us wondering if we were thieves!
Yeah--you got some tutoring!