02 April 2006

Travelogue

Friday morning, I slept in, and Mom and I went to Starbucks down off of Compton and talked for hours. We went to Watts in the afternoon, to the WI school property, and supervised After-school Homework Club, which lacked homework, since it was Friday. There were about 10 neighborhood children who came, and we had an easy (according to Mom) time of it: only two fistfights! I don't like children much, even if they are quiet and well-behaved, and I emphatically don't like noisy, unruly children. I handled it all right, though, since it was for only a few hours, and the second hour, we did academic stuff indoors, such as multiplication worksheets and putting together a puzzle that was a map of the USA. Some of those kids are smart cookies, and I hope they keep doing their math and focus on success and rising above their circumstances.

I picked Mia up at the Metro station, and we headed back toward Biola, since Mia was meeting some SMU friends for dinner and I was going to the Gospel Choir 20-year Reunion concert and then reception. It was great, and I saw so many people: SarahAnne, Jen Dallman, Dave MacLean, Joy and Rachel Greenlee, Larry Wiering, Christina (I didn't expect to see her), Danette, Linda, and beautiful Cooky, of course. I sang with the group that came up for Cooky's era, and then at the very end with all the groups. I took a lot of pictures at the reception, which I'll have to upload and post (as well as send to a lot of folks who wanted them). I'm so glad that I went to the GC concert! I spent the night in Emerson with Mia, and I was seriously exhausted.

Saturday morning, I went off to Elizabeth's apartment. Sara joined us, and we had a great time, eating brunch (pancakes and eggs, mmm) and talking about this, that, and the other. I really miss them! In the early afternoon, I collected Mia from campus, and we set off on the scenic road to Bakersfield. We talked and enjoyed each other's company, and ended up still hanging out in Bakersfield, since we had to wait around for the friend she was visiting to become available. We munched at Taco Bell and talked some more. Eventually, I delivered Mia into Misty's capable care, and continued up the 99 to Visalia and home. I cuddled Jeff and the kitties, and got some well-deserved rest.

Looking back over my trip, I really wish that I'd had the sense to use my camera to take snapshots with all of my friends, but I never remembered, except at the GC function. Oh, well.

No comments: